Nick Dauchot
Product Designer
Made with

WHACK-A-TROLL MIXED REALITY DESIGN

My Role: Prototype/Product Designer

Project Duration: Two Weeks

Methods: Spatial UI Design, Unity Development, Rapid Prototyping

Output: Mixed Reality Game

Synopsis: Whack-A-Troll is a prototype I designed for a Magic Leap game. The purpose of this project was to rapidly design and develop a mixed reality experience. The design of this game is very similar to the classic game "Whack-A-Mole" except broken out to include the advanced features that mixed reality can provide. This includes object placement, hand tracking, among other features. This project was finished in two weeks and was fully designed, developed, and modeled by me.

Approach

Spatial UI Design

I started out by writing out my idea and sketching some of my characters I wanted in the game. I then created two storyboards "Begin Game" and "Play Game" which would help inform my game loop, and the development of the game itself.

Unity Development

Using Unity, Google Blocks, C# and Mixamo I turned my sketches into a reality. The photos below show a few of my Unity prefabs including the game board, the troll, and my friendly actor SRVR.

Rapid Prototyping

I rapidly created and tested my prototypes for the game, identifying early usability flaws including the size of holograms, readability of typography, and the responsiveness of the trolls to my colliders.

Result

Whack-A-Troll Prototype

I created a promotional video for my Whack-A-Troll prototype and it received a lot of positive attention. One user wrote: "Its amazing to see the cool stuff developers are doing on the ML. But its depressing to see a 2300$ device not have stability issues in SLAM. I wonder if consumers would look past that when they get to experience it."

All modelling, development, audio, and design work was done by myself.

Lessons

Lessons Learned


One of the biggest lessons I learned was to respect the user's field-of-view when designing MR, and to utilize cueing to draw attention. I initially wanted the enemies to be large and to scale with the user, but if that was the case the user would not be able to see them pop up due to the very small field-of-view. On my second iteration, I shrunk the game down to the size of a game board and made it a requirement that everything had to be visible within a 45-degree field of view.